Browse Items (2098 total)
-
Thompson Mill, Howell, Michigan
Moses Thompson and his family came to what was to become Howell in 1835. Thompson Lake was created by him when he dammed the stream and then built a sawmill. The dammed stream made three small lakes/ponds. The ponds were separated by swamps/tamaracks. While the first mill was owned by Moses Thompson, it was later owned by others.
The first picture is believed to be the home of Andrew O. Hutchings who later owned the mill. The next two pictures show a later Thompson Lake Dam and pipe with water coming in to work the mill. In the last picture, one can see the north end of Howell Lake (Thompson Lake), an area that is now surrounded by homes. In the foreground is the old wooden intake pipe to the mill. The water area in the foreground was the old village "swimming hole".
The exact dates of these photographs are unknown.
"The Howell Bicentennial Hisotry and Photographic Supplement", Windmill Publications, 1992. -
Hutchings Mill, North Michigan Avenue, Howell, Michigan
This is a photograph of the site of Hutchings Mill, North Michigan Avenue, Howell, Michigan.
The year is unknown. -
Hutchings Mill, North Michigan Avenue, Howell, Michigan
This is a photograph of the site of the Hutchings Mill, North Michigan Avenue, Howell, Michigan.
The date of this photograph is unknown. -
Peavy Mill Being Dismantled on Walnut Street in Howell, Michigan - 1955
Peavy Mill Being Dismantled on Walnut Street in Howell, Michigan - 1955
View July 6, 1955 Livingston County Press Article -
Map of the City of Howell, Michigan and Vicinity - 1964
Map of the City of Howell, Michigan and Vicinity - 1964
Shows City of Howell (population 4861), Howell Airport, Thompson Lake,Cedar Creek, US-16/Grand River Ave., I-96, Crandall Rd., Bowen Rd., Brewer Rd., Byron Rd., Barron Rd., Fisher Rd., Oakgrove Rd., Highland Rd., Eager Rd., Latson Rd., Norton Rd., Peavy Rd., Pinckney Rd., Lucy Rd., Beck Rd., Burkhart Rd., Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and Ann Arbor Railroad. -
Thureson Lumber Company, 1301 East Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan
This is a photograph of Thureson Lumber Company, 1301 East Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan.
The date of this photograph is unknown. -
Wright's Planing Mill, Howell, Michigan
This is a photograph of Wright's Planing Mill, located on South Michigan Avenue, south of Pere Marquette Railroad Depot, Howell, Michigan.
According to David Finney, "Images of America: Howell", John W. Wright first built a mill on Clinton Street between Walnut and Center Streets in 1869. After it burned down in 1875, he built this planing mill on South Michigan Avenue where he and his sons operated a business until Wright's death. The business made doors, blinds, moldings, sahes and dressing lumber for foilding purposes.
The year of this photograph is unknown.
1910 Sanborn map of area with Wright's Planing Mill -
Thurber Cornell, Howell, Michigan
Thurber Cornell was a lumber dealer and State Representative -
Thurber Cornell, owner of Cornell Lumber, Howell, Michigan
Thurber Cornell -
Pauline Cornell, Howell, Michigan
Pauline Cornell, wife of owner of Cornell Lumber, Thurber Cornell
Select values for one or more Elements to narrow down your search.