Skip to main content
Digital Archive of the Howell Carnegie Library Archives

Browse Items (2098 total)

    Select values for one or more Elements to narrow down your search.

  • Girl Scouts Present Paul Bennett, Howell, Michigan, 1949

    These two photographs show Girl Scouts of Howell Michigan presenting Paul Bennett, Howell Public Schools Athletic Director, and chairman of the committee to build a community playground a  check, 1949.   In 1949, civic groups in Howell, Michigan raised $3000 for a community playground that was located on West Grand River Avenue.

    The exact date and names of the Scouts in the photograph are unknown.  The man in the photographs is Paul Bennett.
  • Girl Scouts, Howell, Michigan

    This is a photograph of Girl Scouts selling flowers to Bert Woodhams, Mayor of the City of Howell, 1943 - 1948.

    The date of the photograph, the name of the Girl Scout Troop, and the names of the Girl Scouts are unknown.
  • Tom Slavin awarded Eagle Scout rank - 1/12/1940 - Howell, Michigan

    Tom Slavin awarded Eagle Scout rank - 1/12/1940 - Howell, Michigan
    Boy Scouts of America, Troop 63

  • Eagle Scouts, Howell Troop 62, Howell, Michigan, Leonard Kaplan and James Domine,  1957

    This is a photograph of Eagle Scouts, Troop 62, Howell, Michigan, James Domine and Leonard Kaplan, 1957.
  • Boy Scouts of America Eagle Ceremony - Chapel and Carroll, Howell, Michigan - 1956

    Boy Scouts of America Eagle Ceremony - Chapel and Carroll, Howell, Michigan - 1956
    Troop 64
    Gary Chapel
    Robert Carroll
    Other participants unknown
  • Girl Scouts Troop 536, Howell, Michigan, with leaders Arlene Kleeb and Rebecca Kennedy, 1971

    This is a photograph of Girl Scout Troop 536, Howell, Michigan with leaders Arlene Kleeb and Rebecca Kennedy, 1971.  The names of the Girl Scouts are unknown.
  • Marines Corps, "Toys for Tots" Drive, Howell, Michigan

    This photograph was taken in front of the Livingston County Sheriff's Department, Howell, Michigan, and was to promote the Marine Corps "Toys for Tots" Drive.   Standing left to right, unknown, Sheriff Don Homan, unknown, Doug Swann, and unknown.  The date of the photograph is unknown.
  • William E Beach and Mabel Beach of the Order of the Eastern Star, Howell, Michigan

    Mabel Beach and William E Beach were early members and officers of the Howell Chapter 372 of the Order of the Eastern Star.
    Unknown date
  • William R Parker, Knights Templar of Michigan, Howell, Michigan - 1975

    William R Parker was elected Right Eminent Grand Commander, Knights Templar of Michigan in 1975.
    Tags
  • Millsite Tackle Company, 1455 North Michigan Avenue, Howell, Michigan

    This is a collection of photographs of the Millsite Tackle Company was an innovator of stringers and lures.  They were in business manufacturing fishing tackle from about 1932 to 1977.  They were located at 1455 North Michigan Avenue, Howell, Michigan on the site of the an old mill that was owned by A. O. Hutchings & Sons.

    In 1919, Henry J. Wickman started a factory, Millsite Steel & Wire Works at this address.  It was later sold to Ralph J. Hall, Robert Withey and Donald F. Hall, and the factory's slogan in 1954. was "Quality Tackle Since 1915".

    The names of the persons in the photographs are unknown.

    Further information on Henry Wickman is as follows (when he owned and operated Wickman Wireworks on West Grand River Avenue, Howell, Michigan): 
    Wickman Wire Works was established about May 1909 in Howell, Michigan.  The manufactuer occupied a building that was formerly the Methodist Church; the 1855 building was moved to a site on 200 block of West Grand River Avenue to make way for the next building about 1890. 

    That building on Grand River Avenue was used for a multitude of community purposes including a gymnasium and a manufacturing place.  It was last occupied by Wickman Wire Works.  (See item 10143, "200 Block of West Grand River").

    Wickman Wire Works was owned by Henry J. Wickman who held a patent on wire eaves trough hangers.  Mr. Wickman also held patents on "Keep Em Alive" fish stringers, and several other items such as boat anchors.   He came to Howell in 1908 and opened his wire working machine shop in the old church building on West Grand River Avenue. 

    In 1912, the officers of Wickman Wire Works were R. Bruce McPherson, Henry J. Wickman, Hugh A. McPherson, F.P. Schroeder, and E. C. Shields, and the wireworks employed nine men.

    In 1910, Mr. Wickman purchased 30 acres on North Michigan Avenue where later Millsite Steel and Wire Works was established.  Mr. Wickman died in a cave-in November 20, 1930 as workmen were cutting down a hill with a steam shovel.  His widow, Leora M. Wickman dissolved the wireworks in 1945.  Robert Withey was her nephew who was later part owner of Millsite Tackle.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2